Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Halfway there

I didn't mean for several days to pass since my last entry, but frankly I haven't had the energy to write at length. I know in my last post I said I would write about Regeneration Records, but I'm going to save that for another time.  Instead I'm just gonna give a quick update.

Today was my fourth and final day of chemo.  I haven't experienced any side effects this time and I will pretty much be chilling all day tomorrow until I receive my donor cells some time on Wednesday.  To be honest my only physical discomfort comes when my bladder is about to explode because I get too lazy sitting in bed all day and put off going to the bathroom until the last minute.

I've learned that five or six nurses here have labradors.   I was listening to Leeway today ("Rise and Fall") and my nurse asked me what it was because she thought it sounded awesome.  I can't think of a third stand-alone sentence before my next paragraph.

A couple nights ago I was watching a terrible movie from my childhood, "The Dirt Bike Kid."  Along with Rad, this was one of the movies I used to rent when I stayed home from school with a cold.  (There used to be a general/news store in the town I grew up called Dorothy's, owned by an old couple, and they used to rent VHS tapes.  They had this giant binders with photocopies of all the box covers I used to page through but usually I settled on one of these two movies.  Now I watch them on youtube).  Anyway, this movie is an absolute piece of trash but it was fun to skip around and watch the good parts.  I forgot that the bad guy in the movie is a banker named Mr. Hodgkins.  How appropriate.

Earlier today a young woman around my age stopped by my room and introduced herself as the chaplain.  I was visited by a chaplain the last time I was in the hospital, but he had the sense to ask me if I was interested in speaking with a chaplain and avoided wasting both of our time.  This woman on the other hand asked me how my time in the hospital has been, so I had to answer her to not be rude. When I told her it is going well, she paused and said, "Why's that?"  She would pause and ask a question in response to anything I said.  "How do you do that?" "What do you mean?"  I couldn't tell if she was just a poor conversationalist, or if she was hoping to engage me in some religious discussion.    Eventually she asked if I was raised with any sort of faith, and I told her no.  Liife would probably be easier if I had been.

Out of here soon.  Thanks for reading and I will post again when I am home.

H

4 comments:

  1. Never seen either movie I don't think, so I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No side effects seems like an extra big plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that everyone at the hospital loves you. Your third sentence should've been, "the nurse also said my tattoo was really cool."

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dirt Bike Kid is awesome, well I thought so when I was a kid too. Great blog man keep the posts coming and keep fighting too!

    ReplyDelete