Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Just making sure you're with me

Today we took the dog to Fresh Pond in Cambridge where I took this photo. 
When we were driving home from our walk around Fresh Pond this afternoon, I alerted Heather from the passenger seat that the car in front of us had his brakes on.  "Just making sure you're with me," she said. That is a damn good response.  It deflects responsibility from yourself and implicates the other person instead.  Very sneaky.

Well, just to make sure those of you are in hardcore land are still with me, I owe it to you guys to get another music post going.  I'm going to share a few videos I've made over the past few days that compile specific moments from different bands.  Tonight is 100% NYHC with Gorilla Biscuits, Bulldoze, and Cro-Mags.

Civ's voice cracks megamix

I love the Gorilla Biscuits 7."  I remember first listening to it and hearing the opening bassline of "High Hopes" and getting so excited as that song built up.  By the time the verse kicks in my head exploded and record never lets up.  One classic after another.  And for a band that was certainly melodic and not messing around with the trend towards heavy that was happening in NYHC by the late 80s, there are some downright nasty moments too.  But the most memorable aspect of this record to me are Civ's voice cracks throughout the record.  The voice cracks make this record for me as much as the break in "Big Mouth" or the chorus of "don't be retarded" in "Finish What You Started."  Here I've put together the most explosive voice cracks from the s/t GB record.

Bulldoze studio mosh call megamix


I like Bulldoze.  There are some seriously hard moments in their discography.  Many of them occur in the form of various shit talk/shoutouts/mosh calls that made their way from the stage to the recording studio.  Not too often do you put a record on the turntable and hear "Yeah motherfuckers, MOVE IT!!"  I put this video together to showcase those moments.  In my opinion, the only "beatdown" band that matters (aside from maybe No Retreat) but really their sound is much different from the beatdown bands they influenced.  Less downtuning and emphasis on heavy, more about straightforward hardcore slowed down.  I remember talking to someone about Bulldoze once, and he said, "Bulldoze isn't heavy, they're just slow."  Kevone's next band Terrorzone is possibly better, if only for this song and naming their record "Self Realization: A True Lesson in Hardcore."

Cro-Mags Oh Yeah Megamix

I am no Cro-Mags purist.  I think AOQ is their most important record, but Best Wishes is my favorite, and I enjoy Alpha Omega to a degree.  But everyone will admit that this record is perhaps one of the most dated, cheesy offerings from any NYHC band that had gone metal by the early 90s.  Everything about this record screams early 90s, from their outfits to the music video to the fake turntable scratching and occasional rap metal.  Not everything suffered though.  There are some damn good riffs on this thing, the band is tight as hell, and the production has that incredible Normandy Sound thing going on.  The band did metal the right way in these ways.   The vocals became a casualty of the metal, unfortunately, and in the video above you can enjoy a full five minutes of OH YEAH!  OH! and AHHH!
Anyway, hope you guys got a kick out of these.  I plan on making more of these kinds of videos, so if you have any ideas feel free to leave a comment.  Meanest basslines, crazy divebombs, top 10 rick ta life vocal moments, etc.  
Take care

2 comments: