Friday, November 22, 2013

JFK, other dead Kennedys, and a young punk in school


Today is the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK.  It is also the 14th anniversary of my getting in trouble in 8th grade for wearing the Dead Kennedys shirt posted above.  I had no idea what day it was, and despite the reprimanding I got, I don't think my brain ever associated this date with JFK.  Thanks to social media, and now this blog post, November 22nd is now cemented in my brain as the date of the (first) Kennedy assassination, which remains unsolved despite what our government keeps telling us.  I think Oliver Stone might've been the second shooter.

John F Kennedy Jr. died the summer before 8th grade.  I remember hearing about it on the radio while I was doing yard work for a neighbor.  Being a young punk, I was sort of tickled that there was another Kennedy to add to the lengthy list of dead Kennedys.  Just as America was finally getting over the drunken  tragic death of Princess Diana, John-John crashed his plane into the ocean and the country entered the throes of despair once again.  My father likes to point out that when rich people have a fatal accident, it's usually while doing some leisure activity.  Flying your own plane, skiing, and so on.  The luckier Kennedys have managed to kill other people rather than themselves.

"When I fully realized what had happened this morning, I immediately contacted the police."  IE: I was blackout drunk when I drove my car into a lake and the passenger died.
The Kennedys were the closest thing to royalty we had in America (especially in Massachusetts, and ESPECIALLY on Cape Cod), although I think their culturual significance has diminished and been replaced with an even sicker obsession with reality TV.  Kardashian is the new Kennedy.

Rest in Power, John F Kennedy, you Marilyn Monroe-banging, Rat Pack hanging president.  And let's not forget his brother Robert whose life was also ended with a bullet.  50 years later and bullets continue to fly and target politicians and civilians alike.  As appropriate as it would be to end this post with "Bullet" by the Misfits, I think I've been irreverent enough for one day, so I'm going to go a different route.  Expect a post in the next day or two to talk about about the Culture & Caring fundraising event that took place last night, where one of my paintings was showcased and raffled.  Once I get more pictures together I will do a good write-up about it.  Until next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment