Sunday, September 15, 2013

One of these days I'm gonna get organizized



A little collage from our apple picking experience at Honey Pot Farms yesterday

Yesterday Heather and I decided to go apple picking.  Is this the true mark of fall?  Maybe, although I am hoping we still have some warm days to come.  In any case, we decided to make the drive to Honey Pot Farms in Stow and enjoy this heralded New England pastime.  I also got to say "How do you like them apples?" 

I'd never been apple picking before.  Growing up on Cape Cod, it was just something you didn't do.  My knowledge of MA geography is so limited because of my Cape Cod frame of reference.  Making more friends in recent years from Central Mass has opened my eyes a little bit, but honestly yesterday was probably the first time I'd ever knowingly been in Stow.  It is very pleasant though; obviously it is an entirely different world from the highway and city roads, but it's also different from what I became used to on Cape Cod.  The trees are bigger, oftentimes creating a canopy over the road, and the landscape in general is more pleasing than endless rows of scrub pines that make up a bulk of Cape Cod.  To all my Cape Cod readers, you know I only knock my hometown out of love.  (And I know you feel the same way)

After consulting the Honey Pot manual, I can confidentally say these are Cortland apples.  
We purchased a 10lb bag which we filled to the brim (I kept one extra one in my breast pocket) with Cortland, Macintosh, some kind of yellow apple, and something else.  The manual I mention above lists all the apples they grow, and practically every description says "good for eating."  
A most triumphant pose, that apple had no idea what we had in store for it
View down the orchard, with the contrast boosted for a truly masterful artistic effect
After we picked our apples, we drove to the other parking lot where there is food, cider, animals, etc.   There were pigs, goats, sheep and chickens.   Standing by the sheep area, a young black guy couldn't stop commenting to me about how covered in waste the sheep was.  "Motherfucker be dropping deuces everywhere."  Heather got an apple cider donut and we went home.  

Here is our pie process in pictures:
We used ten apples, look at that pleasant yellow one, soon to meet the knife.
First, slice and dice with the sword of the lord
Then add an abundance of sugar and cinammon.  We had no nutmeg so we just doubled the cinammon.  I think this was a good choice.
Find a woman who will mix these ingredients
Find a man who will fill the crust 
So far so good
Oops.  We pieced the crust together as best we can.  Industry secret, "H" is the most effective letter to slice into the tops of your pies.
Finished product.  We still have like half a pie left
In Taxi Driver, Robert Deniro has a slice of cheese on his apple pie.  That is so weird, something from another era that must achieve something.  Trying this is on my bucket list.
I wrote a new music post a couple nights ago, and have been tweaking it still.  It should be up later tonight.  A new type of post I'm doing where I share great melodic moments in hardcore/punk.  I choose a handful of songs and try to address everything that's going on with them, the way they make me feel or impact me, without coming off too much like some sanctimonious music critic.  Anyway, I'll end this post with a fitting song, "I like you less than apple pie," by early 90s Ebullition Records band Iconoclast.  Very solid jam.  There was an 80s peace punk Iconoclast as well, who have a classic song I will consider for another entry.  Till next time...
I just wish you'd all stop talking, cuz you all make such fools of yourself 
every time your mouth begins to spew that refuse that you breed as law.  

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the new music post Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other day I was thinking about how people put cheddar on apple pie, I don't know how it popped into my head though. I want to know where this idea came from and how it tastes, maybe I will do a little bit of research today.

    Nutmeg has messed with a lot of my recipes in the past and I also feel like not having it wasn't a bad thing.

    Hurray for apple pie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I don't even know what nutmeg is. Apparently it's like "mace" which doesn't help me at all.

      Cheddar on apple pie sounds like some 1930s after sunday supper shit. I WILL try it some day!!!!

      Delete
  3. I've never baked a pie myself, but I think the key to the crust is to use a rolling pin to help lay it out smoothly. and I also think nutmeg is like a ground, dried bark (or maybe root?) I can't remember but my mother always put it in my pancakes growing up. and I'm not sure if it comes up here, but that picture of me holding my camera up to my face was taken at an apple orchard last year. definitely signals the coming Autumn and harvest seasons

    ReplyDelete